Embedded Applications Framework
The Embedded Applications Framework is a sophisticated set of software IP that supports microcontroller-based systems. The software framework is focused on the "infrastructure" requirements that are common to embedded syatems, and allows quick construction of the base systems from tested code at a lower cost than "designing from scratch". The software is organized into a "Framework Application", a fully-functional "baseline" embedded application that embodies many useful features that comprise the basis for new embedded product.
- Boot and Initialization:Processor and peripheral boot and initialization including RTOS configuration and initialization.
- Peripheral Support:Standard peripheral operations to support LEDs, buttons, real-time clock, watchdog, “tamper” circuits, etc.
- Ethernet Interface Support:TCP/IP stack including a variety of extensions such as “ping” command, NTP support, and several web-server options.
- Command Line Interface:Diagnostic command line interface (CLI) with an extensible command set; CLI is accessible via the diagnostic serial interface, or via several TCP/IP options such as telnet. The intrinsic command set provides a broad range of diagnostic commands appropriate for development use and for factory test/configuration of manufactured devices.
- Diagnostic Support::Diagnostic serial port interface with redirection of run-time environment stdio to this interface in a fashion that it is “non-blocking” with or without the use of an embedded RTOS.
- File System Support:Generalized file system to support a variety of functionality including but not limited to the web servers.
- On-Line Firmware Updates:In-system programming support for on-line firmware updates via network or serial interfaces (specifics depend on the underlying hardware system).
- Non-volatile Storage Support:Non-volatile parameter management to support various information such as non-volatile state information, factory configuration, user configuration, password files, etc.
- Parameter Management:Generalized parameter management software mapped to a large number of possible man-machine and machine-machine device interfaces including: CLI, RESTful web API, CANbus interface, Modbus interface, etc.
The framework is well tested and functional across a variety of microcontroller vendor evaluation boards; each has a Framework BSP that can be used as a basis from which to develop custom BSPs for specific development projects. The Framework is available in formats suitable for development in the Keil uVision IDE, IAR Embedded Workbench, and Eclipse-CDT/gcc. The list of supported microcontrollers and evaluation boards is growing constantly. Contact us for current information.
Mantaro’s Embedded Applications Framework is a suite of pre-existing software packages available to jumpstart your embedded developments. Using already developed, proven code to start your project has many benefits including:
- Reduced schedule risk - the code is developed and ready to use immediately.
- Reduce technical risk - the code is already tested and proven in multiple applications.
- Reduced application development schedule and risk since APIs are clearly defined, documented and tested, greatly simplifying the add-on development of application code.
- Reduced staff skill requirements - you can focus on your application development while the core realtime development issues have already been handled.
All of the above lead to more consistent, predictable, lower risk product developments with reduced development costs and - perhaps most critically - reduced time to market.